The TRUE status of greyhound racing in Florida: Florida’s Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) monitors wagering revenue for all pari-mutuel facilities in Florida, including greyhound tracks. These wagering totals are published monthly.
The Florida Greyhound Association (FGA) reviews these totals to track and trend the fiscal status of greyhound racing in FL. Comparing the greyhound “handles”, aka monies wagered for races at pari-mutuel facilities in FL, the totals for January 2014 to January 2013 demonstrate a general trend of increased wagering for greyhound racing, including the Live Handle and Total Handle.
Greyhound Wagering Information; Jan 2014 compared to Jan 2013Greyhound wagering:
- Live Handle increased by 2.6% and Total Handle increased by 0.9%.
- Year-ToDate/Live Handle increased by 1.8%, and Total Handle increased by 0.6%
Greyhound Track specifics
- Sanford Orlando Live Handle increased by 10.7%,Total Handle increased by 13.7%
- Naples Live Handle increased by 9.0%, and Total Handle increased by 0.8%
- Daytona Live Handle increased by 6.3% and Total Handle increased by 11.2%
- Palm Beach Live Handle increased by 1.8%, and Total Handle increased by 3.9%
- Jacksonville/Orange Park Live Handle increased by 9.4%, and Total Handle increased by 5.9%
- Sarasota Live Handle increased by 3.1%, and Total Handle increased by 1.0%
- Hollywood Live Handle increased by 2.9%, and Total Handle down by 5.6%
- Derby Lane Live Handle down by 6.2%, and Total Handle down by 7.6%
Fiscal year 2012/13, the total Pari-Mutuel Handle in Florida (incl. greyhounds, horses & jai alai) was over $872 million, contributing over $13 million in revenue for Florida. Greyhound racing is important to Florida’s economy!
Greyhound racing’s wagering has remained consistent in recent years, and current trends demonstrate its popularity in Florida, in spite of competition from cardroom and casino operations. The FGA will continue to protect live greyhound racing in Florida and preserve the legacy of the greyhound breed!
Guest Opinion: Expansion of Gambling a Bad Bet for Florida
September 18, 2018
HOT OFF THE PRESSES!!! FLORIDA DECOUPLING FAILS AGAIN